Liverpool & Life Decisions | Applying For A Masters

Applying For A Masters 


Applying For A Masters University Of Liverpool Kaleidoscope Peonies

When I first went to university in 2012 I didn't ever have plans to come back and do a masters. Even when I graduated in 2015, I still didn't have any plans to return to uni. When my degree was over I had only one solid plan: to travel. I worked all through the summer up until Christmas and then set off on my travels in January 2016. It was during those few months that I made the decision to apply for a masters.

This decision felt different to any other. Up until this point in my life all the major decisions were (in my mind) very clearly mapped out for me. But I had hit a cross roads where I couldn't just coast along with what everyone else was doing. Travelling gave me the confidence and also the thinking space to make the the right decision for me. So I decided I wanted to go back to university to do a masters. Which left a few things to consider.


Which Course?

After doing my undergraduate degree in English, I knew I wanted to do something more vocational in my masters, rather than another art subject (which ngl would have been the dream). But through English I had gained a certain skill set, that I now wanted to develop, and transfer into business and marketing skills. It was really through blogging that I realised my love of marketing. I wrote a guest post on Kay Seago's blog, Note To Editors, about what I'd learnt about marketing through blogging. It was one of my favourite posts I've ever written. I also did some work experience which I loved. Marketing for me is the perfect mix between the creativity that I loved in English, and that I still love through my passion of literature. But through my blog I've learnt about other aspects of marketing that really excite and appeal to me. Marketing my own content has been a real eye opener for me- and I've enjoyed everything about it. It's challenging, but so rewarding.


Which University?

I did my undergraduate degree at the University of Liverpool, and anyone who knows me will know how much I love Liverpool. It feels like home and it was just the easiest decision to go back. It's such a creative city with so much going on, and the friendliest people. I also had a great experience with the uni and adored my course first time round. I have a great support network down in Liverpool so I'm not starting afresh, which also makes everything a little less daunting.


Where to Live?

This was thankfully really simple for me as one of my best friends from uni would be starting her masters at the same time, so I'm living with her and a few other gals from her course. Yay! As I'm writing this I'll be moving into the new flat in exactly 17 days. I can't wait to be based in Liverpool again, and to be independent after living back at home. 


Thoughts & Tips 


Take time to think. It took me just under a year to be sure of what I wanted to do next, and I'm so glad I took that time. I feel like the main question that is asked at this stage of your life is what are you going to do?- a question that filled me with dread for a long time. Not because I didn't know, but I felt like people disapproved if I didn't have a satisfactory answer. People expect you to have a plan, and to sell that plan to them. It took me a while to realise that it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, because it's your life and the only person you need to sell it to is you.

If you are thinking of doing a masters make sure you do a lot of research, ask a lot of questions, and make sure it is right for you. Don't feel pressured or rushed into making such a big decision.


Let me know if you have any advice on doing a masters below, or just any back to uni tips :)


Follow me over on  Follow  to never miss a post


Instagram | Twitter