The Rosie Effect: Review


The Rosie Effect | Book Review



The Rosie Effect- Graeme Simsion Kaleidoscope peonies book review


I'm writing this post exactly 1 month on from when I posted The Rosie Project Review, the prequel to this novel. If you'd like to see my thoughts on the first book, have a gander. 


 With The Rosie Project introducing the characters and tying up the storyline neatly with a happy ending,  The Rosie Effect focuses on what happens after that elusive happy ending has been achieved. 

I don't want to give any spoilers, but this book actually broke my heart a little bit at times, it's definitely a bit of an emotional roller coaster and a lot deeper than the first novel. The protagonist Don is so likable but so so misunderstood. This mostly produces a lot of comedy, but can be frustrating- I just wanted to intervene in the book & stand up for him.

The narration distances the reader, as with the first book, from the emotional aspects of the novel. The book is narrated solely through Don's eyes with his first person narration telling the story, which is why I think I like this book so much. The story is told in such a interesting and quirky way- it makes you fall in love with the main character and the story alike.

 I got through it so fast, despite it being fairly lengthy- it's such an easy and enjoyable read and I can't recommend the series enough if you're looking for a light read.


Favourite quotes


Greetings. My name is Don Tillman and I am a suspected pedophile. I wish to put myself on standby for an assessment.

But I had concluded that being myself, with all my intrinsic flaws, was more important than having the thing I wanted most.

Over the following week, I attempted to leave the Lydia situation for my subconscious to work on. Creative thinking benefits from an incubation period.

I was suddenly angry. I wanted to shake not just Lydia but the whole world of people who do not understand the difference between control of emotion and lack of it, and who make totally illogical connection between inability to read others' emotions and inability to experience their own.

It is generally accepted that people enjoy surprises: hence the traditions associated with Christmas, birthdays, and anniversaries. In my experience, most of the pleasure accrues to the giver. The victim is frequently under pressure to feign, at short notice, a positive response to an unwanted object or unscheduled event.


Below was one of my favourite sections of the book. Just a little bit of context- after seeing a lame calf being born, Don's friend Dave has offered to look after it-

My immediate thought was that this was a brilliant idea. Dave and Sonia's baby would have its immune system strengthened by cohabiting with a farm animal. But a moment's reflection revealed multiple problems with raising a lame calf in a New York apartment.




Check out The Rosie Project Review here.



       +Follow me on  Follow  to never miss a post.