The Rosie Project: Review



The Rosie Project


I came across this book through a recommendation.

My first impression was that, to be completely honest, it appeared to be a very predictable novel. A quote on the front cover helped to formulate that view: ‘A novel about how you don’t find love, it finds you.’ I wasn’t sold. 
But I decided to give it a go anyway, and I’m so happy that I did.


Casually in a flower patch 

Spoilers

 This book surprised me.

I didn’t expect it to be one of ‘those’. I found I couldn't put it down. And I didn’t even really know what the draw was, that urged me to pick it up at every opportunity.

Really, the plot is very simple. It is about the protagonist- Don Tillman, an emotionally void genetics professor, finding unexpected love with a character called Rosie. Seemingly straightforward.

But I wasn’t expecting just how funny, quirky, warm, and moving it was going to be.

I think the reason I enjoyed The Rosie Project so much, was largely due to it's narration. The story is written from Don's first hand account. Therefore the narrative is like him: it reads clarity. It is concise, compelling and clear. It is not stodgy with description, or confused with emotions. And I found that refreshing. I came to understand Don, and like him. He wasn’t given up in the first few pages, it took a while to gradually get to know him.

The love story was so endearing, and so cleverly done. The reader is put in the same position as Don. We too, are only given the black and white version of events. Just as Don cannot interpret or incorporate emotion into his daily life, so is the reader scrabbling to fill in the pieces of the story with missing emotions and feelings.

I have shunned the front cover quote, and have now come to agree with the quotes on the back cover: The Rosie Project is ‘compulsively readable,’ ‘endearing, charming and fascinating’ and ‘a witty, entertaining fairy-tale for our time.’ 


The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

Favourite quotes


-     'Humans often fail to see what is close to them and obvious to others.'

-    'I haven't changed my mind. That's the point! I want to spend my life with you even though it's totally irrational. And you have short earlobes. Socially and genetically there's no reason for me to be attracted to you. The only logical conclusion is that I must be in love with you.'

-    'It would be unreasonable to give you credit for being incredibly beautiful.'

-    'But I'm not good at understanding what other people want.' 'Tell me something I don't know,' said Rosie for no obvious reason. I quickly searched my mind for an interesting fact. 'Ahhh...The testicles of drone bees and wasp spiders explode during sex.'


What are your thoughts on The Rosie Project? Would you give it a go?