What I Read | Travel Edition



In the two and a half months I was travelling, I managed to fit in six very different, but great books:



1. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

2. The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

3. First They Killed my Father by Loung Ung

4. One Hundred and Four Horses by Mandy Retzlaff

5. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

6. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Thoughts




Fangirl. A very easy and enjoyable read, I love the way Rainbow Rowell writes.




Gone Girl. I loved the film. I liked the book. The film goes in a slightly different direction to the book which I think I prefer. Still amazing suspenseful prose, and clever use of narrators.




The Secret Keeper. Amazing book. I love all of Kate Morton's previous work, and her latest novel did not disappoint. One of the best plot twists I've read in a long time and a page turner throughout. A romantic novel with clever secret's hidden in every page.




First They Killed my Father. You have to read this book. It is a first hand account of life in Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge Regime, and it is awful, inspiring, numbing, haunting and unforgettable.




One Hundred and Four Horses. The author gives her (pretty incredible) account of the struggle in Zimbabwe, as she is exiled from her home in 2000 by War Veterans. After their exile, herself and her husband rescue over 104 horses and herd them to safety on the Mozambique coast. Definitely an interesting read.




The Book Thief. I fell in love with this book. It's such a special book about love in the face of war. It tells the story of Liesel Meminger (The Book Thief) through the eyes of Death, during the Second World War. I love the narrator and I love the story.


If you have read any of the titles, what did you think? Would you give any of them a go if not?

+Art Gallery of NSW pictured- one of my favourite art gallery's I visited whilst travelling. All other images sourced from Google Images.